Jen O'Shea's battle with hip cancer and her amazing journey to recovery

19:08Whitney Hills

Jen after surgery
       One of the biggest issues people experience with exercise is motivation. Many people hire a trainer to keep the on track (because we work ;), others have their own sources of inspiration. I notice a lot of trainers post pictures of people with disabilities exercising to give others motivation to get their butts to the gym. This got me thinking of a person I know who has maintained a wonderful sense of positivity throughout her own struggle. Jennifer O'Shea was one of the first people I met when I moved to the city, we were floor mates at Ryerson. Jen struggled with Crohns disease, and spent a lot of time in pain and suffering during university. After graduating a mutual friend told me that Jen had been diagnosed with cancer, and he had recently visited her in the hospital. He told me she was happy, smiling, and positive, despite her frail state and frustrating health issues. Jen had always been active, working at the Ryerson gym, playing volleyball, and climbing the CN Tower.

      Jen was diagnosed with bone cancer in her hip. After chemo the entire right side of Jen's pelvic bone was removed. Interestingly enough, there was nothing done to replace the bone. Scar tissue is supposed to form, and Jen was told that with rehab she would walk again. July 6th marked Jens one year without cancer. Since her surgery she has been devoted to doing rehab with a physio 5 days a week. She has climbed stairs, learned to walk again on her own, played volleyball, sledge hockey, done the Relay for Life, and the Gutsy walk in less than a year. She has gone back to work, been in weddings, and is living life to the fullest.  I bet most able bodied people are not this active! Jen has been determined to be diligent with her rehab sessions, and has done her homework on a weekly basis.
A recent photo of Jen :)
        Jen has been posting her physio videos to a youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/joshea27 and has been blogging about her experience for over a year now. I truly believe a positive attitude and determination is huge factor in the success rate of a treatment program, whether it be for cancer or physio and rehab, or a diet/exercise program. The brain is a powerful tool, and can outsmart the body. If you are interested at all in brain function and rehabilitation I strongly suggest reading the book The Brain That Changes Itself.
          I am truly moved and impressed by this woman! She has the determination and drive of a champion. Thank you Jen for allowing me to write this post. I know she has inspired many to keep fighting life's daily battles.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I have just seen the vids of Jen on YouTube and am madly trying to find a way to contact her. I had the same cancer, in the same place as a child, and am now facing a future like hers, without a hemi-pelvis. Seeing those vids brought me enormous comfort and inspiration; I felt so alone with this condition as it's pretty rare. Can anyone tell me how I can make contact with her? I looked at her blog but can't see a way to make contact.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Flickr Images

Contact Form