Making a plan to achieve your goals and "I want it all" syndrome

10:53Whitney Hills

We all know that it is important to plan and strategize to achieve success in most areas of our lives. It is also important to be sure that our wants and desires are realistic and achievable. For example, a new client of mine wants excellent arms for an upcoming wedding. She asked that we work only on arms and nothing else. As a trainer I explained that while we will work on her arms, it is important that we work on correcting imbalances and weaknesses in her whole body (there's a lot of them in her case).  This process takes time and can be frustrating, but it is important. Starting from the ground up is so crucial. You would not cut corners on building your house, so be patient with your body and trust the process. Her goal may be achievable, but we will get there in a different way than she expected.

I have also noticed a lot of clients trying to "do everything." This seems to be common in Torontonians. Exercising is their social time, so doing 2- 3 training sessions plus cardio classes and the occasional yoga and run is the norm. I even see people taking back to back classes. First of all, anyone that is wanting to do back to back cardio is probably completely crazy, but also so many of these women are so tight and imbalanced. The drive to get the perfect body in their mind means work till your dead! I have had a client tell me their previous trainers motto was "squat till you can't anymore." Doing something that isn't working already, more often, is probably not going to do you much good.

Our society is very driven and rest is frowned upon. I repeat myself over and over again, but rest is where you recover. Rest is where you build. Growth hormone is released when we sleep. So often people tell me that they were "too busy to eat" and are starved by the time they get to the gym and their workouts suffer. This is complete BS because I eat while I'm running around all the time. No excuse not to get a banana or protein bar in before you train. Consuming enough protein is another important factor that many miss out on. The dieting culture is ingrained in so many woman, that eating less is automatically thought of as the best way to drop weight.  Skip the cardio class and sit down and calculate the macros that you need to get your results. Track them. Stretch, roll, start getting protein in post workout if you have been slacking.



A friend had mentioned to me that I am very hard on my physique (body) since I started competing again. I immediately brushed this off as:
  • You just don't get the fitness world
  • I hold myself to a high standard 
  • I haven't been working as hard as I would like so yes, I am critical of myself
  • This person is just being judgemental and mean
I am not the greatest at receiving criticism so I pondered the comment for a few days.

Realistically I have been trying to work on my eating habits (ie  get over carb phobia and eliminate bingeing), and working on my weaknesses and imbalances since attending a Pentagon Fitness seminar. This means breaking things down and getting back to basics, and not training quite as heavy until my form is corrected. I also have 2 chronic injuries that have been on the back burner and have affected how much I can train.

I am also trying to get better with finances,  took a fitness certification, and have been very focused on business. Working 7 days a week and trying to keep adrenal fatigue at bay while working on personal growth.


Is it realistic to compare myself to others that are training for a show? Do I need to be this critical of myself for not seeing the same gains? Is is even possible to train for a show while juggling so much?

Probably not. Maybe. Some people do it.  But we need to ask ourselves what is realistic for me right now?
For me, competing is not realistic at this time, and it is a goal that needs its time frame restructured.

Ask yourself:
  • What is my goal and is it realistic? For some, just getting to the gym 1-3 times a week is a goal that they are satisfied with, and that is fine.
  • Are my habits healthy and maintainable?
  • Am I making progress? Remember progress can be improving flexibility and working on range of motion, not just fat loss and muscle gain.
  • Am I being kind to myself during the process?
If you are struggling (which is ok) remember that life is dynamic and evolving. Our goals, direction and motivation will change. Creating life long, healthy habits and a healthy body and mind should always be priority.

Remember, sometimes less is more in the gym.
Show up to your workouts ready to work, fuelled up and committed to get the most out of your session.

Happy Monday :)


You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. thanks for sharing this article....it very helpfull for me
    https://www.musclenutrition.co.in/products/whey-isolate-protein-1kg-strawberry

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you very much for your valuable and meaningful article... it very helpfull for me
    Muscle Nutritionfor

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Flickr Images

Contact Form