featured recipe

Shrimp Quinoa Veggie Salad

13:22Whitney Hills

2008 salad
      I "invented" this salad back in 2008 (before quinoa was popular) and am still not sick of the flavour combination. Quinoa is a complete protein, but is mostly carbohydrate, so do be careful with portion sizes. There are about 111 kcal per half cup (which is a serving) 4g protein and 20 g carbohydrate. It is a good source of magnesium, phosphorus and manganese. When combined with avocado, spinach, shrimp this dish a nutritional powerhouse.
         This version is cooked in chicken stock, green onions, shallots, and garlic. It has an avocado lime dressing and cucumber, corn, and peppers. I've cooked the quinoa and added the veggies to the same pot. You can add canned salmon and only need one pot for the whole meal prep. Experiment with chicken, soy  edamame for an asian inspired dish or olives, feta, roasted peppers and fish for a Mediterranean feel. Switch the herbs up as well, I've done mint with feta and loved it. As I mentioned, this is for a higher carbohydrate day for those really trying to lean out. For the average person it is a healthier everyday meal choice. It will do well a few days in the fridge as well.
Gourmet 2014 version, my bf is a bit more gourmet than most

Get Lean Tip of the Day:
Plan your workout ahead of time. Look at your schedule and see where you can fit in your activity. I'm always sure to tell everyone I know that I need to do a workout so that I'm accountable. I tell the bf when I need to leave and he gives me shit if I make excuses and it gets me out the door. Another great way to get a workout in is to look at a pile of laundry or dishes. Working out is more fun than housework IMHO. Sitting around the house in a bathing suit or crop top is a great way to get one motivated and get one to stop snacking (I'm partially kidding here...partially).

Here are some more great links for healthy quinoa recipes http://www.cookinglight.com/food/recipe-finder/cooking-with-quinoa I believe quinoa is getting overplayed these days so don't forget about other great grains like teff, bulgar, and buckwheat.
Train hard and eat lean my friends. Even if your day isn't  100% on track, don't fall prey to black and white thinking. Get back on the horse, and back on track. If you overeat think of it as extra fuel for an intense workout and hit the cardio for an extra 20 minutes. Don't let a small slip lead to a great disaster.
This is how I would eat it...pre shrimp photo

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Flickr Images

Contact Form