Protein Bars

22:56Whitney Hills

            I'm coming clean- I eat way too many protein bars. Whole food is obviously the first choice when it comes to proper nutrition and choosing a meal, but the reality is that we are often on the go and sacrifice nutrition for convenience. The best bet for those that eat on the run is to prepare big batches of food a few days in advance that can be packed and taken with you. However, there is not always refrigeration and carrying food and utensils can be cumbersome. So here are my favourite on the go nutrition choices:

#1 Quest Bar: These bars are everywhere now, and man they are delicious. The slogan is "happiness is a Quest Bar." I agree. With under 200 kcal, 20g of protein, around 17g of fiber, and about 4 g net carbs, these babies are amazing. The only problem is they do have nuts for those with allergies. The fiber and protein will keep you satisfied and the great flavours will ensure that you are not getting that post meal brownie craving. I love the fruity flavours like lemon, strawberry cheesecake, and coconut cashew, but brownie, cookie dough and chocolate mint are favourites of my clients. The chocolate mint is reminiscent of a Girl Guide cookie. I eat one of these a day. They are lower carb so if you are using them for a meal I would recommend having some vegetables along side to make the meal complete and to add in some phytochemicals and vitamins. Their website has some interesting Cheat Clean recipes...although I can't attest to how any of these work. I'll stick to bars. Try microwaving for 15 seconds for a soft cookie like bar. These contain erythritol, a sugar alcohol, but this type is unlikely to cause gas and bloating like some of the others.
http://www.questnutrition.com/cookbook


#2 Boku Superfood Bar: These are the most amazing bars in terms of ingredients. They are vegan, organic, non-gmo and have a blend of superfoods. Ingredients include organic almond butter, organic agave, organic cocoa, strawberries, raisins, brown rice protein, boku supersprout blend which includes 7 different sprouts supplying antioxidants, enzymes, and amino acids. It also contains almonds, inulin and celtic sea salt. These bars supply you with 290 kcal of clean energy and 11g of fiber, 15g of protein and 15g of sugar. I LOVE that these bars provide you with 40% of your iron. The chocolate taste is delicious but not overpowering. These bars provide you with more energy and some carbs than the Quest bars which make them ideal for a meal. I would probably say these are my favourite bars except they are harder to find than the Quest, and come only in one flavour. They are also more expensive, but I think they are worth it.

#3 Greens + fermented Bars: Another vegan bar, but these also contain fermented proteins. Fermentation makes the product easy to digest (and therefore easier to break down and absorb the nutrition). I always feel great after eating one these and do not have to worry about digestive issues. The peanut butter chocolate is my favourite, and it has a more crispy texture than the Quest bars, which I adore. It only comes in two flavours and has 210 kcal, 9g of fiber and 13 g of protein. This one has 20% of your daily iron, which is great for those of us that need it (especially for the vegans). Both flavours contains nuts, are gluten free, non GMO, and are free of artificial sweeteners and flavours.

#4 Daryl's Hi-N-R-G Bars  My current addiction are the Greek Yogurt Granola Bar. Store these in the fridge for a cold, sweet treat made of oats, honey, currants, vanilla, and sunflower seeds. These treats make a great balanced meal with 19g of protein, 30g of carbs and 277 kcal. They are great pre or post workout and keep you satisfied for hours. This one is gluten free. I've tried the other flavours and this is the only one that I really keep going back to. I can't find them everywhere, but they are in the fridge at the Popeye's in Liberty Village, and are 2.99 a bar. They are also a Canadian Product from Windsor.
By them here: http://shop.darylsbars.com/products/greek-yogurt-granola-bars

#4 Solo Bar: Now I must say I adore the Lemon and Pineapple Coconut Solo Bar. They are sweeeet and less of a protein bar, and more of a healthy snack. The fiber clocks in at only 4g, and the sugar at 19g and protein at 11g. But they are still low on the glycemic index (meaning they won't spike your blood sugars too much and give you an energy crash) and have no artificial sweeteners or sugar alcohols. Solo is Canadian and has links to clinical studies that have been done regarding glycemic index and various health issues. http://www.soloenergybar.ca/why-low-gi/solo-clinical-studies-links/
I would chose this bar if I was going to be doing an intense cardio type of workout, like a bootcamp or obstacle course. Some of these are nut free, although they are processed in a plant with nuts.

#5 Simply Bar: I find these bars clean in the nutrition department but not overly filling and satisfying. There are both whey and soy protein based bars. My favourites are the Maple Pecan which has 7g of fiber, 15g of protein, 1 g of sugar and only 150kcal. The Banana Butterscotch is also an interesting flavour. A few of these are nut free. Unfortunately, I don't find these to be overly filling for the cost, but these also have no sugar alcohols, which are important for those with GI issues.

 When it's a good idea to pack a protein bar:

  • I always bring protein bars with me when I travel. You never know when you will need them (I have taken them on excursions on in the tropics, because you never know when you may get stuck away from food from a long period of time. Sure enough they saved me in a cloud forest. Travelling hangry is the worst).
  • Long car rides/plane/train rides. If you are starving you will probably eat the chips or donut if that's the only thing presented to you. Always have a backup.
  • Now that holiday season is coming, protein bars can be a good option before attending a party with lots of junk food options. They fill you up and the sweetness can satisfy you, preventing a indulgence in chocolate turtles or nachos.
  • Sporting Events. Again the food options here tend to be very, very, unhealthy. Especially in the States. Tuck one into a pocket or purse.
  • Work. When my co-workers bring out the bags of cookies in my retail job, I pull out a mint chocolate Quest bar.

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is very interesting and i have enjoyed reading it. Thank you for sharing your ideas.
    Protein bars

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this information. I found it very informative as I have been researching a lot lately on practical matters such as you talk about..Vega Protein Bar

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Flickr Images

Contact Form