My road to competition...plus a 2 part leg workout.

18:42Whitney Hills

        Over the last couple years I have made some really big changes in my life that have required

4 years ago! Big quads!
some serious hard work and effort. I have gone from a sleep deprived, over worked party girl to a sensible old lady. It's been about three years since I have been on stage, and I am really excited to get back to it. Last year during my training for the SAF Summer Spectacular, I was diagnosed with post tibial tendonosis. I used to have these spectacularly muscular legs, and after the diagnosis, essentially had to put all leg training on hold other than physio rehab. I lost most of my size. Earlier this year my fiance was seriously injured and spend two months off work unpaid. To say life was stressful was an understatement. Now that our lives are back on track I'm refocused on my goal of obtaining my pro card this year.
         About 16 weeks away from the Serious About Fitness Fall Spectacular, I have upped my leg training to build myself back up. Now I have to be very careful as my injury will take years to fully heal and I am banned from any sort of impact including running and plyometrics. Even bike riding this weekend has left it a touch tender. Now although I have been personal training for 8 years, I am not quite an expert and there is always room to learn more and improve one's technique. This 2 part workout has left my legs COMPLETELY toast, and I could barely walk home after. So if you are looking for an interesting workout with minimal equipment, give this one a try and let me know how it goes for you. These are two quickie workouts done on back to back days.

*Note: I recorded the weight that I completed today. Obviously go at your own pace. The last 2 reps of each squat should be challenging. 

Day 1;  Hammies and glutes (I also did triceps today but didnt include on here)

1. Clamshells with band 15 reps on each side








b) Banded bridges with dumbbell (I used a 50lbs weight) 15 reps or max reps

4 sets of each. The last 2 sets I did one leg bridges 









2. One leg deadlifts. 4 sets of 10 reps on each side 70lbs

Romanian Deadlifts 2 sets of 8-10 reps
100lbs

3. One leg squats on rowing machine (10 lbs dumbells) 4 sets of 10 each leg

b) Planks with arm extension on rower 15-20 reps  and pikes on rower
The above photo was taken from the website above. Full disclosure, I stole all of the pictures from google.


Day 2: Quad focus
So on this day I was in a gym with only a squat rack, which turned out to be just what I needed. I like to switch up the tempo often with my workouts.

Warm up- various leg swings and inch worm walks
Squats

Set 1: 95lbs 10-12 reps
Set 2: 115 lbs 10 reps
Set 3: 135lbs 5-8 reps
Set 4: 135 lbs 5 reps
Set 5: 115 lbs 8 reps
Set 6: 115 lbs 10 reps
Set 7: 95 lbs 10- 12 reps
Set 8: 45 lbs 10 reps, slow tempo. Down for 3-4 seconds, pause for 1 seconds, up for 3 seconds
Set 9: Repeat above

Walking Lunges: 2 gym floor lengths (I probably did 8 reps each way)
45 lbs, 3-4 sets

 These workouts were not that bad while in progress, but felt it immediately on the way home! Despite not being able to sprint or do step ups or jumping lunges, there is always a way to get it done. I do miss having a gym with a traditional leg press, but it is possible to get in super shape in a condo.
Booty Building!

Let me know if you try this and how it goes! 



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Flickr Images

Contact Form