Countdown to the SAF Fall Spectacular

13:10Whitney Hills

It is coming to the time of year when I hit the stage again, and peak week is always a bit of an emotional rollercoaster. Since my life has been a little bit topsy turvy over the last few months, I have definitely been neglecting writing or doing any research on nutrition topics to blog about. So instead, a little personal blog on goals and motivation.

Going back about six years ago, entering my second fitness competition, I was approached by a gym member that told me she had fantasies of being a pro fitness model. She had also entered the competition that I was in, and asked if my goals were to ultimately make a living modelling. I remember my instant reaction was a laugh. There's no way in hell I thought that I could ever do something like that. She asked why I didn't that that fitness modelling would be ideal, as it sounded like the perfect job. I of course instantly came up with a list of excuses in my head.

  • my legs are to short and calves are too short
  • my torso is too long
  • I'm not tall enough
  • I'll never be that fit
  • I don't want plastic surgery 
Photo Cred Shawn McCrea @creative.shawn
 I ended up placing 4th in the competition and continued to compete over the years. On the 30th birthday, having struggled with building the physique and life that I wanted, I promised myself to buckle down and start to work. Most of the work was emotional rather than physical, and I made many changes in my life. I questioned my career path for years, and considered finding another job that was more stable. When I finally started to work on my eating behaviors, relationships, and mental health things really started to fall into place. and I truly believe that you can accomplish anything that you want with hard work and determination. 

While making changes in life led to many tough experiences and pain, ultimately in the end it is worth the sacrifice. I have learned to channel my anger into workouts and healthy habits, while working emotionally to deal with these issues (although I still have many moments). We may see IG posts about emotional and spiritual work that may seem cheesy and cliche, but ultimately if you don't address your self-limiting factor, you will kept from achieving your goal and happiness. Since it was mental health awareness day yesterday, I feel like we need to remind ourselves to be gentle on ourselves and mindful.

I am so excited to hit the SAF stage on Friday, as my first ever pro bikini show. I have the physique that I dreamed about 7 years ago when I first hit the stage, and can't wait to see what the next few years bring. SAF is the perfect place for me to showcase my "imperfect" body, where one can be unique and have fun with other women that are motivational and inspirational. I don't expect to make a career modelling, but I am having fun doing it, and the goal of a fitness competition helped me to stay on track when other aspects of my life have been completely out of control. Despite wanting to give up and quit, many, many times, in the back of my mind I promised that I wouldn't let myself down. It feels so good to follow through with yourself. Live a life without regret and don't look back.


I am so, so grateful for all of the wonderful people in my life that have helped me to achieve my personal goal. I cannot wait for the winter months to give back and share what I have learnt with others through volunteering and new projects. There is no greater joy than freeing oneself from  your limiting factors, and this is a journey that never ends. My true passion is helping others to achieve wellness and health through fitness and nutrition, and I will never stop.

Kisses and Hugs,
Whitney

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Flickr Images

Contact Form