Strategies to deal with poor coping mechanisms

09:42Whitney Hills

I know that I've spoken in depth about this subject  in the Emotional Eating Seminar Review, but I think that it is something worth revisiting. It is very easy to slip into bad habits when we become stressed or are unhappy. I know that post-competition last year, I struggled with bingeing and eating junk food, despite getting back to the gym right away.  As someone that has dealt with depression in the past, I also understand just how important it is to take care of oneself with  healthy behaviors. My personal happiness and success in business relies on me taking care of myself-- so this is something that I have put at upmost importance this year.

I see poor habits in clients all the time. They will be so close to making the changes and progress that they want, only to have a slip and fall off the wagon with food, alcohol, or not exercising. Or they will not 100% commit to dietary changes or doing cardio in their own time. I believe that people either a-- do not want to change badly enough/its not a priority  or b-- that they are stuck in their comfort zone and don't want to push through it because it is challenging, uncomfortable, they have self doubts and would rather give up than fail.

So here are some strategies to help you deal with your food and exercise goals.

  • Remind yourself on a daily basis why you are behaving a certain way and working towards your goals. For example for myself: I am not drinking alcohol because I will feel crappy and miserable in the morning and may make poor choices. I am not bingeing because it is an addictive behavior and not serving any healthy purpose. I also know tomorrow, I will feel better about myself if I make a healthy choice than have the timbits. 
  • Delay. If you feel that you need to stop at the Tim Hortons, tell yourself that you can stop at the next store. Or go out again in an hour  if you still have a craving (once I get home at 9:30pm I know that I'm not leaving). It's all about tricking our addicted brains, or re-programming them for a better word. Don't delay healthy activity though-- getting a workout in is the best way to help you to make other healthy decisions.
  • Surround yourself with uplifting people. I am so lucky to be surrounded by motivating and empowering women. This has been a huge factor in helping me to make positive choices. Be around those who lift you up and inspire to be the best version of yourself. Go for healthy meals, meal prep with friends, go to a support group if you are an emotional eater/drinker. Make coffee or kombucha dates rather than trips to the bar. Meet other people in the same mind frame. Commit to weekly yoga or meditation with a friend.
  • Do something nice for yourself. Book a massage, spend some time in the steam room/sauna with essential oils, get a mani/pedi instead of splurging on a big dinner or night out. Get a book and read something of interest. You deserve it! 
Plan ahead! Do a meal prep. It doesn't take much time to make something healthy and simple. Cut up some veggies and have them ready (cucumber, grape tomatoes, and peppers are my fave), stock up on nuts and protein bars, always have frozen spinach on hand as it is great for many healthy meals.  Pre-boil eggs,  keep canned tuna and salmon on hand. Protein bread with natural nut butter and suagr free jam is one of my favourite go-to's.


So step-it up! Challenge yourself to be the best version of yourself-- physically, spiritually, and emotionally.
 
  • Work hard to become the person that you've always wanted to

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Flickr Images

Contact Form