featured

Investing in Yourself

17:10Whitney Hills

      Let me start this little entry by saying that I have a lot of experience training older adults. In my 8 or so years of training it has become a speciality of mine. My eldest client was an 86 year old nun, where I would go to the convent and train her with a small ball from the dollar store, light weights, and a band. It really blows me away to see the health differences and abilities in adults who have been active their lives when compared to those that start exercise later in life.
       One of my "seniors" that blows me away, is turning 60 this month. I forget that, often. She typically logs about 16,000 steps per day, and weight trains with me at two times a week. She lifts 20 lbs dumbbells, deadlifts, and has been on the TRX. She is currently mastering hanging leg raises on the captains chair. She has worked in an active job for the past 20 years, and uses the stairs all day in her townhouse. She eats mostly whole foods, and I will featuring her protein shake recipe in the future. She has not missed a session in over 2 years, and has not once had a cold since I've met her.
         Other adults into their 70's have done 20 lbs pullovers, 30lbs lunges and pushups. These women are very knowledgeable about their health and make themselves a priority. They cook and eat healthy and take supplements. I have met others that are in their 40's and struggle getting up and down off the floor and cannot do more than 5 minutes of cardio. They typically work at desk jobs and do little activity. They have trouble doing daily tasks, and their risk for chronic disease is high. Many have had, or been told that they will need to have surgery on joints that have been stiffened and degrading due to sedentary lifestyles or excess weight. Being immobile is terrifying to many, and the funny thing is being mobile is the preventative key here. But people like to make excuses as to why they cannot get going.

Savoy Cabbage "tacos" with greek yogurt, ground seasoned beef, avocado and onions
       It can be very difficult to take time out and put yourself and your health first. Balancing a job, relationship, family, pets, household, social life, and your workouts/nutrition is high stress. Life is definitely demanding. I must say there are some things I miss out on in order to fit me first, and I struggle everyday trying to grow my business, rest, train, eat, and keep the two other members of my household happy. Its still a work in progress, but if you cant take care of yourself, how can you possibly do anything else? I went Goodlife and spoke to a sales rep who had me answer a questionnaire. She was impressed and surprised when I rated me as #1 on a list of priorities, and said "if only everyone else understood that."
       
         In the past I was simply concerned with the "macros" of my food, and calories, and often ignored other properties of food. (Macros means the macronutrients- carbs, fat, protein :) I remember munching on chemically sweetened yogurt and all bran buds for snack before a competition. Gross! Unpleasant and not the healthiest choice.
         I would work out through  pain, and remember suffering so badly before one competition that I could not run with a client because I was so stiff and achy.
         These days I don't leave the house before I've taken my fish oil for inflammation. I take time out for dates with my foam roller (we have a love/hate relationship. It's a necessary evil that I'm still wrapping my head around). I plan my workouts around killing two birds and they may not necessary be mapped out. Today Sierra and I went to the park to enjoy the weather and I did pushups, planks and dips on the picnic table. I take my supplements when I feed the dog hers, and make an effort to not forget them. I choose foods that will taste great, fill me up and provide me with other benefits. I don't think of the calories the coconut and fish oil add to my diet, but the things they do to better my life.
         When your body functions well, you will be more efficient, happier, and I believe more creative and excited to take on the challenges of life. It is so important to make the investment of time into ourselves, because the rewards at the end of the lifespan will be worth the initial effort. Who doesn't want to be independent, be capable of playing with their grandchildren, and out of the hospital or long term care? Stop wasting time worrying about your weight, or what others will think of your choices, and invest and yourself and your future by making positive and healthy changes.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Flickr Images

Contact Form