Your annual New Years Post--some motivational words, thoughts on resolutions and some rambling.

20:55Whitney Hills

Check out last years posts about why I like New Years Resolutions. http://whitneyhills.blogspot.ca/2014/12/new-years-resolutions.html

             One of the reasons I like blogging, is that so I can go back and check up on what I was doing/feeling at this time last year, and have I made any improvements (or slipped up) in different areas of my life. It is a diary of sorts to track progression. Last year I made a note that people were either anti-resolution or really into making resolutions (resolution does in fact mean a firm decision to do OR NOT TO DO something). This year I have not noticed as many people shunning the idea of a resolution, and more people raring to go in 2017. With social media bombarding us and with North America's obsession with fitness, there is more advertising and promoting changing your life around this time of year than I believe I've ever seen before (which could also be because I'm the target market for these types of ads being in the fitness industry, I can only wonder if everyone is seeing these advertisements or I'm just being targeted to see them).  On a daily basis we are being (or I am being) bombarded with messages saying "get on board with this new years stuff now! 2017 is going to be amazing, forget 2016, move forward!". I think this is great, but it does put a lot of pressure on one at this time of year. Fitness is trendy (yay!) and I think the media can make us feel like we REALLY need to change RIGHT NOW, because its 2017 and WE MUST MAKE THIS THE GREATEST YEAR EVER! As I mentioned at the beginning of the blog, I think we must not completely forget the previous years, but keep note on how we felt and what we were doing, so that we can remember and evaluate the changes we intend to keep a few months down the line.

Personally I dread this time of year because my workspace is now going to be chaotic and hectic, and we will be fighting for equipment on a nightly basis now the at the "resolutioners" will be crossing v into the gyms for the next three months. If only all condo gyms were triple in size and that resolutioners actually stayed active for the whole year and this problem wouldn't exist.

Now, while I don't necessarily enjoy all the fitness advertising and crowded gyms, I definitly think there is nothing like some self-improvement, regardless of what month of the year it is in. The reality is, is that there are many of you that NEED to make changes in their lives, and need to do it immediately. I have a few clients that I know NEED to make some serious changes in their lives NOW if they want to be mobile and healthy for the rest of their lives.  Some of my clients are aging or at risk for serious chronic disease that will impact the rest of their lives unless they get back into a fitness routine. Some of you are getting older and need to practice better self-care, heck there's some things that I NEED to do now.

I'm currently working with a few individuals who have been stuck in the same routines for a long time, who don't challenge themselves enough to make positive changes that are needed for their health. And I mean NEEDED to the point where quality of life and mobility will be affrected if they don't change. I'm really ready to work with those of you that need the support to really dig deep and change your lives, and I'm very excited to see you all succeed and restore your health.  Because you can. But you need to want to. Are you sick of living a life where you are fatigued, unhappy, lazy, tired all the time, avoiding the mirror, and feeling disgusted with yourself (this can apply to anyone and has nothing to do with weight)? You all deserve to be happy and to believe in yourself and your ability to change. What is holding you back? Ask yourself this. This is a great time of year to decide to believe in yourself.

I had some amazing things happen in 2016, and I learned a lot about myself, through both the tough and the positive times. I am so thankful that I made serious lifestyle changes that allowed me to become more confident in my abilities to change and that allowed me to be happy (this is my first winter without SAD in years---but its also been seasonally warm so I'm not sure what to credit this too). I am also excited to improve on the changes I made and move forward into a more successful and happy year. I am personally working towards better sleep habits. While I may seem a bit obsessed with tracking my sleep, the ultimate reason I do this is because I know I will be more successful and productive when I prioritize healthy habits. Operating at less than desireable effficiency seems silly-- why not feel better if you have the power to?

Whatever your new years goals, good luck, get on em ASAP, and be sure to be accountable and realistic. Happy 2017!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Flickr Images

Contact Form